Currently Metrolina Nephrology DOES NOT have the COVID Vaccine. MNA is advising all our patients to receive the COVID19 vaccination when available.
Important COVID19 Treatment Information for MNA Kidney Transplant Patients
The FDA has given Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) for two oral antivirals: (Nirmatrelvir/Ritonavir (Paxlovid);Pfizer and Molnupiravir (Lagevrio); Merck) for treatment of COVID-19.
Paxlovid has the potential for severe drug interactions with your anti-rejection medications which can cause kidney injury.
Molnupiravir appears to have relatively low efficacy and has not been evaluated in transplant recipients
Based on this information, we would strongly recommend that you please discuss with your transplant doctors if you are diagnosed with COVID infection and are prescribed one of these medications.
Updated COVID-19 Information for MNA Kidney Transplant Patients
MNA recommends that patients who are immunocompromised, like kidney transplant patients, continue to wear a mask and social distance and to ask those around them to do the same, even if all parties are vaccinated against COVID-19.
Recently the FDA approved the COVID-19 vaccine booster shot for some immunocompromised patients, which included solid organ transplant recipients. Our transplant nephrologists are recommending the COVID booster vaccine for all of our transplant patients. The following guidelines should be adhered to:
- You must wait 28 days from your last vaccination
- If you initially received the Pfizer vaccine, you should receive the Pfizer booster
- If you received the Moderna vaccine, you should receive the Moderna booster
- J and J vaccine, currently we do not have any recommendations regarding boosters. We will update you as soon as we have any further information.
- The booster vaccine is available at select CVS and Walgreen’s facilities.
- In addition, Atrium is offering the booster dose to immunocompromised patients at all their urgent care locations. Use “My Atrium” to schedule.
Links for kidney transplant patients regarding COVID-19 vaccine: ATC COVID Marker for Vaccine Efficacy
COVID 19 Virtual Visits
MNA is committed to providing the most comprehensive Nephrology care during the COVID 19 pandemic.
To do this safely, we are offering TeleHealth/Virtual visits to our patients. To learn more, checkout our TeleHealth section on our website or follow this link: https://www.metrolinanephrology.com/telehealth/